Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Daniel Cervantes

As the inevitable end of this trip came today, I began to reflect on how amazing and how eye-opening this trip has been on my life. As someone who has never been abroad, this trip has passed expectations. No one could ever prepare me for what I did and saw on this trip. No one could have prepared me for the glorious overview of cities, remarkable cultural architecture, a wonderful array of cuisine, and the feeling of freedom as you stand over the edge of a cliff to see the world beneath you. Tasting salt water in your mouth for the first time is a substantial instance in someone’s life; the experience is unpleasant but you accept it because it’s a once in a lifetime moment. I feel like that sentence encapsulates the overall ideal of this trip. You may not like everything that you encounter, but everything is a learning experience and a chance to learn something new.

 Something more important than what I saw on this trip is what I did on this trip. I flew on a plane for the first time. I bought souvenirs and found zany antiques for my friends and family back home. I learned to make Paella, a cultural dish of Spain. I kayaked in the ocean with my instructor and managed to crash into a cliff. I learned to wrap a turban/scarf. I experienced a sandstorm and rain in the Sahara desert, at the same time. I visited the third biggest mosque in the world and learned about the Muslim religion. I visited an orphanage and disability center in order to spread love and bring a smile to the kids there. Despite all of these incredible activities, the most important thing I did was meet and spend time with locals. The people I met have made an everlasting impact on me, and I can’t wait to see them again one day.

It was a reoccurring joke that people would lose themselves on this trip, some more than others. I can say that I did lose myself. I loved every moment of this trip, and I am forever grateful that I had this experience. Everything that I saw and did is important, but it is the love of the cities and love for the people that tie me to these places. I don’t know when I will have the opportunity to study abroad again, but I plan to relive my experiences by telling people about my journey. I want to thank everyone who made this trip possible, and hopefully one day we will all be together again. Inshallah!






No comments:

Post a Comment