Thursday, May 26, 2016

Amanda Basham


Ahlan!
The morning began with a 2 hour crash course in Arabic. As our energetic professor bounced around the classroom encouraging us practice phrases like "shnu smitik" (what's your name?) and "kidayr" (how are you?), us students had fun laughing at our own mispronunciations. Class ended with the more studious students frantically scribbling last minute words and phrases that we might need to know, and from there we headed to the medina- a large market within Meknes. We toured a small part of an underground prison, Prison de Kara, that once held over 40,000 prisoners. 

By the time we exited the prison and began weaving our way through the narrow shops of the medina, most of us were very hungry. All I could focus on was the blend of spices that permeated the grounds. I more than welcomed the shade that came with sitting down for our meal at a restaurant. 

I was surprised to find that lunch lasted 3 hours! This was one of the few meals I've had with my classmates where wifi was not available. While we waited between courses, our table of 7 got to know each other better than before-I found out I share a birthday with Gabriel! We also practiced our Arabic. The only word i can say with confidence is "shukran ", which means "thank you."

During our two hours of free time in the late afternoon I chose to go to a Moroccan shop down the road from the hotel to order a crepe like pancake with honey filling. I communicated with the native Moroccan worker by pointing to the crepe I wanted and holding up my money. It was a little frustrating and we both just giggled. Eventually he asked if I spoke French, morocco's second language. I responded with "no, English", and when he responded "English?" I said "". I guess my mind is still thinking in Spanish.  Don't worry though, I got my crepes. 

Our last activity of the day was having mint tea with local Moroccan college students. There were about 25 American students  and 25 Moroccan students, and we sat talking and laughing and singing for hours. I had the opportunity to learn about Moroccan universities and the strikes that frequently ensue there. My new friends and I talked about books and music, studies and travel, the lack of Moroccan nightlife, and Greek organizations in America.  

By the end of the day I laid in my bed thinking about my new Moroccan friends and the reinvigorated excitement I have about Morocco and Meknes

Bslama



Me "escaping" from Prison de Kara

Mint tea and cookies was the last course of our delicious lunch!

No comments:

Post a Comment