Monday, May 30, 2016

Susie Grill

Today I had the opportunity to go the disability center in Meknes. I was a little nervous about the language barrier and how it would affect my time with the kids. Once I sat down with the kids my nervousness quickly disappeared. It only took a couple of minutes for the kids to warm up to us. It was amazing to see that the kids were just as excited to see us as we were to see them. They were hugging us, jumping on us, and dancing with us. I spent the whole time in one of the rooms where their was a variety of disabilities. It was awesome to see all the kids getting along with one another and enjoying our company. One of the little boys I spent the most time with had autism. He was strapped into his chair and seemed a little sad that all the other kids were running around and playing with us. When I started showing him attention by high fiving him and tickling him his face immediately lit up. He giggled the whole time I hung out with him. It was awesome to see how easy it was to brighten his day as well as how easy it was for him to brighten mine. I loved that even though I didn't speak the same language as any of these kids I was able to bond with them and have a great time. I was excited to have the opportunity to make these kids smile today and I think we definitely accomplished that goal. 

I have five aunts and uncles with mental and physical disabilities who have attended disability centers throughout their lives. I have never had the chance to visit any of the disability centers they have attended so I was excited that I had the opportunity to go to the one in meknes today. It was awesome to see the older students at the disability center who were getting help in order to better their future. There was a great atmosphere within the center and the staff seemed passionate about their jobs. 

I have always adored kids and want my future career to involve helping them. Although I am not exactly sure what career path, today made me realize I am absolutely positive I want to spend my time helping kids. I’m excited to go home and try to find ways that I can help kids on a daily or weekly basis. I am so grateful to have had this opportunity and hope I will be able to come back sometime in the future.





No comments:

Post a Comment