Thursday, May 19, 2016

Stephanie Ontiveros

May 19, 2016

Today is my second to last day in Granada and it is safe to say that I have had a grand time in Spain. My roommate and I were running late for class today, so I had to quickly drink my coffee and bread. Luckily, we made it just in time for class where we discussed self-efficacy and ways in which we can tell our own story. After class we had a two hour break until our group cooking class. A couple of classmates and I decided to walk around the city to look for Real Madrid soccer jerseys. The sun was out and the streets were crowded. It was another gorgeous day out in Granada.

After finishing up shopping, Vanessa and I were craving ice cream, a necessity on this hot afternoon in Plaza Bib-Ramba. Right after ice cream we wanted to go visit the Catedral; however we ended up getting lost. In the end we asked a total of five people where La Isabel de Catolica was located and to our surprise none of them knew. Eventually we made it on time to meet up with the group for cooking class.

Our cooking class was a fun experience where we got to make Paella, Gaspacho, y Mousse de Limon. We were all able to contribute by cutting up vegetables, stirring them, or putting in other ingredients for the food. Making these dishes were not that difficult. The cooking time for paella ended up being around 30-45 minutes. Paella and Gaspacho are famous dishes in Spain. Many Spainards like to enjoy Gaspacho on a hot afternoon because it's a cold soup with tomato, cucumber, onion, and garlic. There are other ingredients that can be added depending on the persons taste. These dishes were a great taste of what Spain has to offer. The instructor of the cooking class gave us a recipes for each of the dishes including Magdalenes, a type of muffin.

After cooking class, a group of us went to go get ice cream. My SECOND ice cream of the day (but I am not complaining). Later we journeyed to el Mirador de San Nicolas to ring the bell in the church tower. It was such a majestic view of the Alhambra and the city. Although today included a lot of walking, I do not mind it. Walking up the cuestas- hills- have definitely been such a norm here. Yes, my feet are saying no as we walk up all the cuestas, but my mind and heart are saying yes. Walking has allowed me to absorb the beauty of the city and notice the way the city is structured. This has definitely been an eventful day filled with spontaneous adventures. I am currently off on an impulsive adventure with other classmates where I cannot further disclose information (don't worry it's a surprise). It will be awesome! Once this adventure is over I cannot wait to eat dinner with our homestay, it's gonna be their version of spaghetti al carbonara. Good thing because I love pasta! Spain is a gorgeous country, but I can't wait for Portugal this weekend! 


At the top of church in the Mirador of San Nicolas where I am about to ring the bell.

 A selfie with the group of us who went to the Mirador of San Nicolas. 

Austin and I stirring the paella 

The finished product of our cooking class: Paella. 


No comments:

Post a Comment