Sunday, May 22, 2016

Magaly Mendoza

May 22, 2016

My morning began with a breakfast on the beach that consisted of a banana and Nutella crepe and nectarine juice; I mention so because this really was the start to my favorite day. I met with Gabriel and Kate as we intended to chase the sunrise given our beautiful surroundings in Lagos, Portugal. With a hesitant sunrise and mounds of clouds obstructing our view, I thought it would be a pleasant idea to welcome our sun through sun salutations. Yoga on the beach and still no sun but with the energy gained from sun-salutations I knew we were destined for a wonderful day. Moments later, Kate and Gabriel abandoned our view to carry on with the rest of the day but I felt I wasn't ready to part from such a pleasant scene. I rejoiced in this moment for another hour alone and it is moments like this one that build my character and strengthen the courage in my heart. In full embracement of solitude I was granted the gift of reflection, meditation, and prayer for my God. With the sand beneath my toes and the calm waves trickling along my ankles I felt at one with my earth. I want to remember that moment for the serenity that I was embraced by while still in the absence of wholeness. I just might come to terms with this contrast as acceptance for every wave I have ever met and for this I am thankful. I was then distracted from my thoughts as a dozen surfers inched their way to the shoreline. There was one surfer whom strayed away from the group and came my way just to say hello. After such a hello I felt my time there was complete and on I went to meet with the rest of our group as we would soon venture off into the ocean with first time kayakers as well as, experienced kayakers. 

With a fear of water I jumped at the opportunity to proclaim our veteran, Gabriel as my kayak partner because I couldn't fathom the idea of trusting anyone else.  Kayaking in itself was such a rewarding experience given the phenomenal views in, out, and around massive rocks and furthermore, I got a workout out of it. My favorite stop was at the private beach because there I reconciled with my love for volleyball as a couple of us volleyed for some time. In this hidden corner I also discovered the most beautiful sand and of course triumphantly left with bottle of sand in remembrance of this place.  Without a camera to capture the beauty I encountered today, I have but to cherish this trip both in my mind and forever in my heart. I conquered my fear of water and at that fell in love with the wonders of the ocean. I am filled with gratitude for every person and every moment that brought me to experience this day.


               
I rejoiced in meditation during sunrise. Photo credits: Kate

Feeling competitive, Gabriel and I raced our way to the shore. Photo credits: Tommy

Engaging in volleying while at the private beach with Gabriel and our instructor. Photo credits: Tommy

                                    Group picture with our kayakers. Photo credits: Tommy

No comments:

Post a Comment